November 5, 2008
For many artists, the choice of medium is as specific and personal as the choice of subject. The artist’s relationship to the medium shapes how the work is executed and understood. Reflecting on this process will give us greater insight on why we choose to work in the way we do.
1. Write a 250 word essay describing your relationship with your medium for our class. The essay can be humorous and anecdotal- you can even write it from the perspective of your medium or materials- and their commentary on you. Consider the following questions.
• Why do you choose to work in this medium/media?
• How long have you been using this medium/media?
• How would you describe your approach within the medium/media?
• What are the advantages?
• What are the limitations?
• How does this medium/media relate to your chosen theme for the semester?
2. Read the interviews with Chuck Close and Ryan McGinley be prepared to discuss.
Chuck Close (passed out during class)
Ryan McGinley - interview link here
Due November 12 or 14
Collaborative Showcase / Fashion Show Exhibition
The second exhibition held in Traina’s Schiltkamp Gallery will be a Studio Art Collaborative Showcase – featuring the work from a number of Clark art classes. The exhibition will also be coordinated with the Clark Fashion show- and both will share the same opening reception, on Friday, December 5, from 6 – 9 pm.
We will participate by exhibiting a selection of small works- one from each student. While this is not a major focus of this class, I am hoping it will give us a chance to think about presentation and small scale works. Each student’s piece should be ready to hang, and fit within the dimensions 12 x 12 x 12 inches. While 3d pieces are acceptable, please make arrangements with me ASAP if you intend to display your piece this way. You may create something new, or use a work that you have already finished.
These pieces are due at 4 pm on Wednesday, November 17th