Monday, October 6, 2008

Paul Laffoley (Cory's Pick)

I chose Paul Laffoley as an artist who interests me. Paul is based out of Boston, he works mostly with paints but he employs a wide range of media in his work. Born in 1940, he is a trained architect. He lived in a utility closet in downtown Boston for almost 40 years, where he started making the these big square paintings.
He believes his work is "an interactive, physically engaging Psychotronic device, similar to architectural monuments such as Stonehenge or the Cathedral of Notre Dame, with their spiritual aura and transpersonal functionality."


His paintings are really cool. I've never seen them in person, but I can see that the must be meticulously detailed. I really like the idea of the painting being more than
just an image. It gives it power more than just decorative or by making a statement. The paintings are like blueprints or an instructional guide. I only have a vague idea of what he is trying to say, however. I think that the convoluted mystery makes me like the work more. He has some pretty wild ideas, but they're so complex and detailed that they must be true. I believe that you can't really make something up, that everything has it's base in reality.
He has an idea that you can grow houses from a seed, and that it will solve all the social problems in the world.
Sounds good to me...

He has a myspace page, where there are more pictures and recordings of interviews http://www.myspace.com/paullaffoley .

Out of the other artists posted, Paul Laffoley is similar to Sol Lewitt in that their work is so heavily involved with geometry.

No comments: